Monday, June 18, 2012

Wee Harvest Monday
Broken Camera Edition

Photobucket
Still with the broken (probably unfixable) camera so I'm using my daughter's which would if it could take a closeup but can't. Anyhow, here is a wee bowl of goodies: peas, currants, strawberries, garlic scapes and a cherry on top.


Yesterday I raided the strawberry plants and pea vines then promptly ate them with family so today's harvest is more modest though just as delicious. You'd think with three different locations for fresh peas either edible podded or shelling, I'd have enough but I'm not sure. After all, we're talking peas here: one of the most delightful aspects of spring besides strawberries, rhubarb, asparagus, fresh greens and cherries and so on. However, my children don't see any reason to spare a pea if they see one. They should be eaten right then and there. In fact, you should camp out near the pea vine and scarf them all down. Sure, this is great. There isn't anything more local, in our case organic or delightful right? Except occasionally mom wants to preserve the odd pea for seed starting next year especially those that are particularly prolific and early. BORING.

Strawberries, on the other hand, are free game right? Must plant more.

7 comments:

Stefaneener said...

That sort of looks like my lunch! Lovely even though small.

Julie said...

Looks like a bowlful of spring! I bet it was delicious.

Stoney Acres said...

Looks great! We picked almost 3 pounds of peas earlier in the week and put them in the fridge with the intention of shelling them and putting them in the freezer. The kids saw them and a couple of days later they were gone!!

kitsapFG said...

YUM! It may be a wee harvest but it is packed with yumminess. :D

Daphne Gould said...

I think last year I did a better job of seed saving for the peas. I usually have a good handful that I miss when picking and just let them ripen. I think I might have looked too hard. But I ought to get at least a few to save.

Mary Hysong said...

that might be small but what a great harvest. I envy those that can grow cherries.... here they go as high as $6 a pound....

Anonymous said...

What variety of cherry tree(s) do you have? The cute baby bunny rabbit ate most of my pea shoots! But we did manage to find two snow peas for last night's stir fry; the giant bok choys made up for it :-)