Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tomato Tuesday: Baby's first true leaves

Photobucket

They are actually bigger than when this photo was taken and are back outside in the greenhouse after a sojourn inside last week because of a dip in the mercury. I had excellent germination in all but a few very old seeds so I'll have to separate or thin the seedlings and re-pot them up soon. P.S. I'm probably going to transplant most of them so I'll do a short picture-post soon.


Tomato Tuesday Fact

Cotyledon leaves are present inside the seed as part of the embryo plant and in tomatoes pop out pretty shortly after the root shoots down. Tomatoes are dicots, meaning they have two of these seed leaves though once in awhile you'll see a seedling with three or even four. Once the plant is up and running, true leaves of quite a different shape emerge.


1 comment:

Steve said...

I've got some capsicum Chinenses that have 3 seed leaves. I wonder if they will have a strange growth habit? Hmm...