Monday, August 15, 2011

What to do with my Harvest Monday?

Here is the second picking of apples from one of my six (I think?) apple trees. These seem to be early, thin skinnned, juicy and large apples. They come from an old tree that would be quite large if it hadn't been topped some time back. The apples would be wonderful to eat out of hand if it wasn't for the birds pecking at them and the odd bug damage. As it is, they look fantastic. And these, my friends, are ORGANIC apples. Not a spray has touched their gentle faces or shielding leaves. I have done nothing to this tree so we can thank the previous owners for their fine care, and this tree for its fine apples.

Photobucket
Not sure what is going on in this shot: one kid didn't want to look up because of the glaringly diffuse light of a cloudy sky, the dog was chillin' and the other kid was distracted by something 'over there.' But did you see the apples?

My problem is what to do with them all. They aren't storage apples so please post your favourite freezing/canning recipes. I like baking so go wild.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice apples! You can make Apple Butter or if you like to bake, make Apple Pie Filling and can it so you have tons to use for pies throughout winter!!

RandomGardener said...

Apple Pie and freeze the pie to bake later or gift!!

TechChik said...

My favourite apple recipes are the drinkable kind. ;) And, if it turns out that they make lousy cider, there's always vinegar. The pommace that's left over is good for acidic loving plants, like blueberries.

How about drying some? Dried apples make good apple pie cookies: www.techchik.ca/index.php/2009/05/31/no-bake-apple-pie-cookies

Shawn Ann said...

If I had all those apples, I would make applesauce. We like it around here! Your kids look like mine do when I want them to take a picture. I can never get all three of them to give me a decent smile and look at the camera at the same time.

Unknown said...

You've got great suggestions already. We dry, make applesauce, canned apples, apple butter, apple jelly and juice around here. Enjoy!

Jess said...

I love making apple chips. Just slice the apples thin, dip them in a shallow bowl full of lemon juice to keep them from browning, sprinkle with cinnamon if you want to, and dry them out. They're especially easy if you have a dehydrator, but if you don't, you can also use the oven on a low setting.

Robin said...

That's a lot of apples! I think everyone had a lot of good suggestions...maybe a little of each!

kitsapFG said...

I think that photo is a great shot of a "day in the life" - not posed and the dog is smiling!

I would make baked apples - cored and then filled with some butter, brown sugar and some cinnamon candies (or just cinnamon will do in a pinch) and bake until soft and swimming in the carmelized mix of goodies. Yum!

Applesauce would be my preserving option though. :D

Roman said...

Apple crisp. Not only a great dessert but a great breakfast too with a glass of milk (fruit, grains, sugar...what else do you need?).